The new student center at The University of South Carolina Beaufort was a first of its kind on this historic coastal campus. The institution’s lineage dates back to 1795, but it was closed in 1861, due to the Civil War. However, in 1959, the college was reopened in 1959, offering the same courses as the USC campus in Columbia. In 1994 the university embarked on an expansion process, acquiring new land and building new structures. Churchich Recreation and Design provided outdoor furniture and site amenities on the grounds of the University’s new student center. The facility included a relaxing student lounge, food service, and union to provide a common meeting and study place. The institution selected Urbanscape outdoor furniture for both the durability of the materials, and the quality of the design elements coupled with affordability. The items are finished in a faux wood and constructed from aluminum to avoid rusting which is common in this coastal community.